Monday, March 25, 2013

"Cinderella Ate My Daughter" Oreinstein Extended Comments



Since I did not read the entire article by Oreinstein, “Cinderella Ate My Daughter,” I decided to use the extended comments blog option. I used Torie’s blog to form an idea of my own, and as I read her argument on Oreinstein I completely agreed with what she had to say. When I was a little girl I was obsessed with the disney princesses. Cinderella in particular, I dressed as her at least four times for Halloween. Even when I was little I always said when I grew up I was going to be here. Now that I look back on my childhood I’m not upset that I’m not Cinderella. I haven't found a prince with a lot of money. My parents taught me how life works, and I understood that life was different from movies. I understand that Oreinstein is trying to complain about how princesses and american girl dolls give little girls the image of them having to be pretty, and that they will find the perfect prince. Although, little girls don’t think like that because in their minds when their little they are justing playing dress up and pretending they are one of the princesses. "Both Princess and American Girl promote shopping as the path to intimacy between mothers and daughters; as an expression, even for five-year-olds, of female identity." When Torie used this quote in her argument she stated that shopping is a bond between mothers and daughters, and that you rarely see father and son bonding at the mall. I completely agree, I have two older brothers and they would never come shopping with my mom and I, my dad forget it he hates the mall! Oreinstein tries to pick out the bad of toys younger children play with, and I just believe that you can pick out the bad of anything. Little girls are so oblivious to these bad effects Oreinstein is conveying, and I don’t think they are going to harm them in anyway.


* Reading and writing this blog made me think of the last article By Christensen. People just want to do anything they can to take certain things away from children. I think it is a learning process for children once they reach a certain age to realize they aren't going to live the exact life as someone they admired on television. 

No comments:

Post a Comment