Sunday, February 24, 2013

Connecting With "Safe Spaces" Through Vaccaro, August, & Kennedy


When I started reading the article, Safe Spaces, I realized right away what the article was going to be about. As I went through certain parts of the text about LGBT it made me think a lot about when I was in high school. Especially when the article spoke about a fifteen year old boy, freshman, who committed suicide because of his sexual orientation. Though, when I read this it did not really shock me because I think most teenage suicidal accidents happen because of bullying and sexual orientation. As I look back on my high school years, I can say bullying was a main subject talked about in my school. Though, students did not always listen or care, and would proceed to bully certain students that were an easy target. Not many students in my high school were LGBT, but the percentage that were, I would say were bullied. It wasn’t out of control bullying, but it was definitely hurtful, and thankfully students were disciplined for their actions. The only time students really talked about gender and sexualities I think was in gym class or health, which is part of the problem because subjects like this aren’t discussed enough. Teachers and educators need to focus more on diversity and social sensitivity inside the classrooms to prevent the bullying atmosphere that schools are living in today. I feel like the article discussed a lot of this, but at the same time, issues are still happening. As students get older, and into their teenage years, I feel like that is the worst age group for bullying. That is why the topic of LGBT needs to be brought up to students of all grades starting in elementary school, so they aren’t so sheltered and are aware of different people in the world. 

* Does anyone else share the same opinion? Or have you witnessed this bullying issue in your own school years?

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the topic of LGBT needs to be addressed in schools from elementary school because it is becoming a big part of society. I witnessed the bullying issue in middle school but not so much in high school. I was lucky to attend a high school where LGBT students were accepted. There were several openly gay teachers and faculty members, boys on the cheer-leading squad and girls on the football team. I was called gay and lesbian several times during seventh grade just because I didn't show interest in the boys in my class (I was twelve for crying out loud!) At the time, I knew that gay was a synonym for happy and I had no idea what lesbian meant. It wasn't until my last year of high school that I learned about LGBT issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan!
    I totally agree with you 100%. I feeling that bullying on the LGBT is put everywhere in school. We had this talk yesterday when we were in our groups. I feel that teachers in most school ignore what is happening to their LGBT students. I could tell many story of football, hockey and all the big jocks in high school bulling on LGBT kids it is not right and teacher need to control the issue.

    ReplyDelete